<XMP><body></XMP> <XMP></body></XMP> My Shangri-la























It has never been, it shall never be.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Yappings of a Yuppie

How much would one give to be a yuppie? That stands for Young Urban Professional by the way. The whole bloody paycheque? What does it take to be one? A Ferrari 612 Scaglietti? Fancy clothes from Ermenegildo Zegna, reeking of cologne from Givenchy? Timepieces from Audemar Piguet or Panerai?

I can imagine a conversation between two yuppies trying to outdo each other.

A: Have you seen my shoes? They're from Ballys. Cost me only $600!
B: Really? They look like the ones I just threw away because they didn't match my significant other's Louis F
éraud dress.
A: ..... Have you seen my Lamborghini Murcielago? The colour matches the Pagani Zonda sitting in my garage don't you think?

Yuppies tend to value material goods (especially trendy new things) and are also supposed to have "bad taste" or buy expensive things for the sake of buying expensive things. The yuppies' fast-paced pursuit of material goods can have unintended consequences. Usually in a hurry, "yuppies" may seek convenience goods and services. Being "time poor," their family relations can become difficult to sustain. Maintaining their way of life is mentally exhausting. Sometimes, they will move every few years to where their job goes, straining their family. This fast-paced lifestyle has been termed the rat race.

If someone told me he isn't caught up in the rat race, he'd just be a blooming liar. We are just so caught up in making money everything else around us seems to fall apart. Relationships strained because of work, marriages broken because of long hours and frequent business trips overseas. Parents not seeing their children because their kids would rather spend their time making money. All to climb the corporate ladder. To win the rat race. To become a yuppie. (I make the assumption that most of my readers are young. Forgive me if you're old.)

But think about it. When you're lying on your death bed, how many of us would actually say, "I wish I had spent more time at work."?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home