<XMP><body></XMP> <XMP></body></XMP> My Shangri-la























It has never been, it shall never be.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Chinese New Year

The year of the puppy is now upon us. Time to gather with family and friends, smile and be polite to relatives you see only once a year, trying so hard to remember their names. I don't know about you, but that's what always happens to me.


I enjoyed Chinese New Year as a kid. Snacking non-stop, running up to grown ups to get those wonderful red packets. Hiding in the toilet counting how much was inside the red packets, and secretly labeling the grown ups as stingy or generous. It didn't matter if I had forgotten how to call them. A simple "uncle" or "aunty" would suffice. Anyway I was then a cute little boy. Did I mention irresistible too? :))


Now Chinese New Year is just a time to catch up on sleep in the mornings, and to go visiting and try to put on a pleasant face. There was never any significance to this occassion to me. It could totally disappear from the calendar and I couldn't care less. Except for those red packets. :))
But those seem to have lost meaning to me as well. I guess red packets are just a tool to get
little devils to be quiet and well-behaved.


I had reunion dinner at my granny's place last night. She's been bugging me about a girlfriend for ages. Initially she said I was still young. Then she asked me how old I was. And then everything changed. To her I was old and had little time to get married. Sheesh. She said my parents want grandchildren. I told her to bug my sister instead. :))


Oh well.. 恭喜发财! May the year of the puppy be a good year for all! Huat ah!

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think u try to think from her point of view/her priorities.

perhaps it's come to a point she feels it important to be 'around' to see u settle down...dun think she intended for you to feel that way.

*pat pat* dun worry too much. All in God's hands. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home